Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Love,Love, Love

Advertisers in Las Vegas do a good job of hyping things before they are even an option, so by the time The beatles Love ( the new Cirque show in town) was open, I was already sick of it. I know that sounds a bit drastic, but really, I had heard so much about the show and seen the billboards for so long, it was no big deal that there was a new show in town... Now, I've got to go on a bit of a rant...

I understand the Beatles were one of the biggest innovators that pop music has ever seen.. I know that they did for music what, at the time, no one else could do... I understand that they are Giants... Why in the world can't the show have a band playing the music.... It's not like we haven't made even more leas and bounds in the industry, and a full band wih a couple of competant keyboard players could nail those tunes just as effectively. I can almost see having the vocal tracks cued in, but even then you could find some convincing vocalists to copy the vocal parts effectively.

That said....K got me the soundtrack for LOVE th other day, and all I can say is WOW... George and Giles Martin took original recordings and mixed them up a bit. they took song parts and put them on top of other songs, took outro's and made them intros.... Giles re-mixed the Beatles... What a dream job, for a guy to follow in his father's footsteps and work with the Beatles' music... The only parts added in the now would be strings to go with George Harrison singing 'While my guitar gently wheeps', and not only a great song, an old recording of it, just G ond his Guitar. Seeing as George Martin wrote the scores to a few other beatles songs, I wouldn't even say that it is too much of a departure, and the part is true to the old Beatles sound. I can ony imagine how great this must sound in the theatre, with a full-on sound system going on '10'......

K and I loved Mystere, it's a great show that leaves you almost breathless... I can't imagine the training and physical ability that is needed to do the acrobatic movements that these frogs are doing... and the original music was cool (I must add that we got tickets comped to us by the guitar player from Mystere who comes out to see us play and jams with us.....) I can't imagine that anoy other Cirque show could capture my imagination like that one did... even with great music... Not to mention that the tickets are wicked expensive... to no have a band to pay, I can't imagine why they might be so high...

My opinion is this... get the CD... it is a great teatment of some great songs... I have to say that I have enjoyed all 26 tracks several times already...

A nice addition to anybody's collection, LOVE makes the Beatles a little more modern in production quality and has a lot of fun too!

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home