Sunday, September 03, 2006

Standing in the Shadows... actually I'm sitting on the couch...

While K has been visiting family back on the east coast, I've been sitting at home, not really sure what I want to do. A friend called me up yesterday (probably because he knew I'd be bored and lonely) and asked if I wanted to hang out with him and his wife, I met them at Wal mart (they were doing some shopping there, otherwise I wouldn't have been there....) and started my day that way. One of the fellow posters on the music forums that I frequent had posted about a movie called Standing In the Shadows of Motown being in the $5.50 bin, so I grabbed it while I was there (I had seen parts of it on PBS a few years back and really wanted to get it for myself..)

I've been watching it and it's special features all afternoon! It's great to see the 'Funk Brothers' and hear their side of the story. I would highly recommend this DVD (2 actually) to anyone who is remotely into music and especially to those who love motown!

One could only hope that in their life they would be a part of something so huge... THese guys lived it, and now they tell their story...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Standing in the Shadows of Motown is a 2002 documentary film about the story of The Funk Brothers, Motown Records' primary studio band from 1959 to 1972. It is also the title of a 1989 book (from which the film derived) by Allan Slutsky focusing on bassist James Jamerson,.
The film covers the career of this band with interviews with band alumni and dramatic recreations of specific episodes. It also outlines the disheartening fact that the band was responsible for more #1 hits than any other, yet they were generally unknown - overlooked in favor of the vocalists who sang over their music. In addition, footage from a reunion concert in Detroit, Michigan with the surviving members of the band is included featuring several music performances of major Funk Brothers hits sung by major current R&B, pop, and soul musicians, including Gerald Levert, Me'shell Ndegeocello, Joan Osborne, Ben Harper, Bootsy Collins, Chaka Khan, and Montell Jordan.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home