Friday, August 25, 2006

Yay!! Happy Amazon Dance!!

My loving wife very kindly ordered two sound reinforcement books that I have wanted for quite some time, the Yamaha Sound reinforcement Handbook and the Yamaha Guide to Sound Systems for worship. When I was at CHrist United Methodist Church in Salisbury we had a copy of the S-R handbook in the tech booth. This is the best live sound book there is, period. I have and enjoy another book, The Live Sound Manual that I lend out to freinds who are interested in learning or boning up their knowledge of audio, but it is only a minor blip on the radar compared to the Yammie book.. THe S-R handbook has lots of information about pretty much anything you may encounter in the world of audio equipment, it tells you what things do and how to get them to do those things, it even has mathmatical equations (ugh) that are used to determine certain things in the audio world. No other book comes close to this one... I'll be busy reading it any chance I get next week.

The Guide...dor worship is great too, for a different reason, instead of dummying everything down (which may be necessary given the volunteer status of many church 'soundguys') to almost childish, it really explains everything from designing a sound system (or hiring a company to design one) to running and troubleshooting. A good middle ground is Church Sound Systems, a book I picked up to a couple of years ago to help the folks at a different church (who left it in the choir room collecting dust, so I repoed it)...

I'm doing a couple of workshops tomorrow for a church (or three) up the road from Las Vegas who are looking for information on contemporary worship. I'm doing one about Bass Guitar and it's place in a worship band, and one on running sound. I'm super excited, I get to use my training experience, and talk about two things I love!! I've been compiling info and trying to decide what to include (I've got a three page handout that I've put together for the audio workshop)...

For the bass workshop, I'm probably going to go over a few inportant things like: Play what the song needs, not always what you want.....etc... I do have a few advanced books to recommend, Encyclopedia of scales and modes for bass and Walking Jazz Lines for Bass...

I'll post to let you know how it goes!!!

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:34 PM, August 28, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds wonderful - glad to see you using your knowledge and experience for the Lord.

Love,
Mom

 
At 2:08 PM, August 29, 2006 , Blogger The Bass Player's Wife said...

So, do you have a license for that workshop teaching?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home