Sunday, March 18, 2007

Date night interrupted.

so as K and I were getting ready to go out to see Spamalot (see previous post) when my phone rang.... Wojo (GP worship leader) called to ask if I was available to run sound at a local Rock club.... He didn't have all the info handy, but gave me the number of the guy in charge, so I called and it was aparent that I would have time after the show (Spamalot) to take K home and get myself down to the club...

The mixer was a Mackie TT24 (digital mixing console) that I have not worked on before... I downloaded the manual and looked over the basics, seemed easy enough. The sound system is installed, so I knew it couldn't be too hard to run.. Sure enough, the staff got me into the sound booth and into the closet that holds the microphones and cables, and I was ready to rock!

Two bands on the bill, local original bands, I was expecting heavy metal screamers (there are a lot of them in Vegas) but was pleasantly suprised by the two bands. A good mix of jam-band stuff and rock and blues, both bands were pretty good!
The first band was doing grat, then the bass player broke a string... no backup bass and no extra strings.... so it was the guitar player/vocalist and drummer jamming out some tunes.... people were leaving, the MOD gave them the 'last song' and it was back to the house music and stage swap...

Second band used the same drumset and bass rig, so the larger half of the swap was already done. These guys were jamming! I can't say enough about how good these guys were, everybody knew their part, good interaction between the guitar and the keyboard, and the vocalist knew how to work the crowd!!

I got a lot of compliments from the bands and their friends/family but the least expected came near the end of the second bands set.... the sound booth at the Rainbow is a little room a full-sized door with a window on the top half ..... so this cute girl knocks on the window, I wasn't sure what she wanted/needed and the band was a little on the loud side, so I leaned in her direction (ear first) she said 'Thanks for doing a great job" and kissed me on the cheek.... Happy St. Patty's Day!!!! I'm not sure if I was being hit on... didn't realy occur to me at the time, I said 'thank you, happy St Patricks day." and went back to my little stifling box (it was really hot in the booth)...

All in all I'd say it was a good night. It was good to get behind the board again, and to know that I can walk into a foreign situation and handle it like a pro, had I not told the bands that it was my first night ever working this room, they probably wouldn't have known, and that's my goal, to be as professional as I can no matter what is thrown my way.

My mix was awesome (in my not-so humble opinion)

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home